[nmglug] gnome :\

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Fri Jul 14 21:48:18 PDT 2006

    Jason> Hello, So gnome and metacity have left me disgusted. Im
    Jason> tired if being psuedo bullied into using spatial browsing
    Jason> or no URL bar by default. Im tired of trying to find how to
    Jason> undo gnomes new crap in gconf.  So .. can anyone recommend
    Jason> a polished desktop software that is not KDE or Gnome?

I'm not sure what spatial browsing is (maybe I know it by some other
name).

I personally use GNOME, but I use sawfish which allows more powerful
key combos and window property manipulation, so that I live mostly
mouse-free.

As for browsing, are you complaining about epiphany?  You probably
should use firefox with GNOME.

Vis-a-vis gconf, I agree that it's annoying, but the other problems
you mention are easily solved if I understood them well.

In the end almost all I do is with emacs and bash, so GNOME is not the
real center of my productivity.