[nmglug] Kernel - devfs - initrd

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Wed Jul 19 11:00:21 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 20:50 -0600, Gary Sandine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 16:20 -0600, Jason Davis wrote:
> > I have a dual cpu Amd64 box. It running Debian stable. However the
> > install did not set up a SMP kernel so only one of my CPUs is showing
> > up. I compiled a kernel and built ext3 and the sata drivers in. (not
> > modules)
> >
> > If i try to not use a initrd image the root file system cant be mounted.
> > Can some suggest what Im leaving out. If i use an initrd i get a kernel
> > panic saying the dev/console can not be loadded.
> >
> > I have googled the messages I get. I have tried a few things I found
> > (like install udev/devfsd) Still I get the same error.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Why is /dev/console not being found at boot?
>
> The initrd is incomplete in some way...  How do you generate the initrd?
> Does /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf have:
>
> MODULES=most
>
> in it?  Why not just install a Debian smp kernel, like:
>
> apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686-smp
>
> ? Something like that...  "apt-cache search linux-image"  and look for
> smp.
>
> > 2. How can I use udev and not devfs?
>
> Can you do:
>
> apt-get install udev
>
> ?  Although I don't know if this is readily available for Debian stable.
> IIRC there's a kernel requirement (version at least
> 2.6.some_version_that_might_not_be_in_Debian_stable).

apt-get install udev does not seem to completly cut it
I do see udev running , but its not making any dev files than i can
tell. The smp kernels from apt crash right away , so thats why
I made my own. I made the initrd img by using make-kpkg
with the initrd switch. I do have the mkinitrd conf
and it has the modules line you mentioned.

So.. , we installed gentoo , I didnt want to :\
But it works now. However I get a crash on reboot
that looks just like the crash i got from debian apt-kernels
on boot. Looks to be a stack trace with some mentions of
apic. Ill look into this soon.

Thanks,
jason