[nmglug] databases

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Tue Jun 20 06:38:44 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 12:25 -0600, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm considering creating a database for my wife's business using
> OpenOffice.orgBase.

I don't know this app myself...  but I'd say it is worth
looking into IF the back-end is MySQL or PostgreSQL.
Especially for production business applications, a full
featured SQL database comes in very handy.

WWW front ends.
Simple scripts to generate reports.
Hopefully orgBase would give you some of that
GUI front-end ability that MS Access provides.

>  The application seems easy enough but I've never
> created one before and this one would be quite complex-think inventory
> control for 10-20 locations. I get pretty confused when i try to outline
> all the tables and relationships and could use help. The other
> possibility is that if someone actually builds databases we hire that
> person to do it.
> Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Take my advice with a grain of salt.
I have built several applications with an SQL database
component...   but my only experience with Access
is replacing it with an SQL database ;-)

          aaron