[nmglug] eth0

Sam Noble sam at laclinux.com
Mon Mar 6 08:27:08 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 21:35 -0700, a_kaluta wrote:
> Dear Club Members;
> Went to the cafe to use high speed internet.
> Discovered no eth0 tried using ifup eth0, or dhclient,one message was no 776
> (or some such).
> Any ideas? Anthony

Anthony,
Is this some cafe that provides wired ethernet? Where you physically
plug in an ethernet cable? That seems pretty unusual in this era of
wireless. If you were trying to use wireless, then you were attempting
to bring up the wrong device. In your case I think you wanted to bring
up eth1 not eth0.

$ iwconfig

Will give excellent clues about which device is the wireless one, as all
the other devices will be marked "no wireless extensions."

If you really were trying to bring up the wired interface, then probably
the driver was not loaded:

# modprobe 8139too

or maybe there's something wrong with your /etc/network/interfaces file.
Permissions maybe?

# chmod 644 /etc/network/interfaces

good luck.