[nmglug] Help with transition from Windoze 98 to Linux

Aaron eunichs at boim.com
Thu Nov 9 05:24:37 PST 2006

Ted Pomeroy wrote:
> Lee, On Windows to Linux; You can make the HDD a secondary and it will depend on the version of Linux you have whether it will be immediately recognized by the system. I had some frustration with Ubuntu on that score, but you can get it to see the drive. Now also it remains to be seen whether the MS windows stuff will be readable because they used proprietary coding on the "WORKS" suite. If  you have "OFFICE" docs then Open Office will be able to open them and you friend can save them in the new format.  How about using a jump drive to move data? Wouldn't that be easier than moving the HDD? Also that solution would keep the data in the W98 machine for reference in case of trouble or to check the transfer.
> By the way GRUB does an excellent job as a dual boot loader. I have added Ubuntu to W98 and to W-XP for myself and others.  A few times I just printed and re-typed important docs on the new OS so I could continue to use and edit them. I went from  W98 w/WORKS to Ubuntu and Open Office and I am very happy.
> Yours, Ted Pomeroy

you should be able to mount the windoze drive as secondary, read it from
LINUX, AND boot to it if you wish.

My dual-boot is ubuntu, with LINUX on secondary.
However, GRUB is very forgiving.
Edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and add an entry like:

title           Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root            (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

at the end.
This would be for Windows on the first partition of /dev/hdb
(i think)
The drive specifiers seems to be 0,1,2,3 for IDE 1-pri, 1-sec, 2-pri,
2-sec resepctively.
However it gets trickier.
My linux is reported as (hd1,0), and it is on SATA, where
I have Windows on 1-pri IDE, with two CD-drives on 2-pri and 2-sec.
I'm sure with a little research we could find the mapping, or find
a linux tool which will probe and name the disks it sees w.r.t. grub
naming conventions.

               aaron