[nmglug] Linux built SAN

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Sun Nov 12 07:31:25 PST 2006

Nick Frost wrote:

> Andres Paglayan wrote:
>> thanks,
>> we are upgrading to a gig switch,
>> and I am not versed enough to determine about SAN vs NAS,
>> I kinda imagined SAN would be easier to set up,

> Supermicro makes some nice cages for hot-swap SATA, like this one;
>
> SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B Black 5 Bay Hot-Swapable SATA HDD Enclosure - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121405
>
> what I don't like about it is the single point of failure on the FAN.
> However, there are not many alternatives.  There are some good coolers
> like the Vantec Vortex 2, but they are $30/apiece and use an entire
> drive bay.

After discussing the issue of drive cages with a colleague yesterday, we
think the 3ware drive cage is a better option than the Supermicro;

3ware RDC-400-SATA Internal RAID Drive Expansion Cage - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121302

The 3ware cage holds 4 drives (Supermicro holds 5) but the 3ware has
several advantages;

	- separate fans (3), so no single point of failure on fan
	- audible alarm goes off in cage if a fan fails
	- drives can be locked in place (security feature).

he has used the 3Ware cage, had a fan failure and the alarm sounded
(good, providing the computer is located where it can be heard, not true
per se in a server room).  I think the 3ware consumes 3 5.25" bays and
the Supermicro 4.

-Nick
Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325