[nmglug] Linux built SAN

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Tue Nov 14 12:12:32 PST 2006

Nick Frost wrote:

> Andres Paglayan wrote:
>> thank you,
>> it comes just in time, as I haven't make a decision yet,

> I would be inclined to compile an I2C capable kernel with the appropriate module
> for the environment data chip (usually the Winbond 83627 these days),
> and have a cron script that runs "sensors" every 15 mins and send email
> if the temperature gets out of spec. I think the module on my AMD
> machine is "w83627hf"

On this note, here's how I am currently getting this info from the
server I am working on (at present only fan speed data);

lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
smsc47m1                8836  0
i2c_isa                 4352  1 smsc47m1
i2c_dev                 8452  0
i2c_core               18688  3 smsc47m1,i2c_isa,i2c_dev
e100                   33540  0

under 2.6 kernels, one can compile i2c support as a module, load the module;

i2c_core

then run sensors-detect to try and find out what chip you have (unless
you want to open your computer and do a visual inventory).  In this
case, loading the smsc47m1 module calls the other modules.

Then running "sensors" gives this output.  The same can be done for
temperature.

sensors
smsc47m1-isa-0800
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:     8192 RPM  (min =  640 RPM, div = 8)
fan2:     10240 RPM  (min =  640 RPM, div = 8)

Then it's a matter of running a script to send email if RPM is < or
equal to a certain value. If there's interest, I'll post that when I've
got it written.

-Nick

--
nickf at nickorama.com