[nmglug] using linux to record audio: voice

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Sun Oct 8 07:59:45 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 09:36 -0700, luis pena wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu Dapper on a HP pavilion ze4300 (athlon xp + 512MB
> ram).
>
> Does anybody have any opinions/suggestions on putting together a
> system for recording audio w/ Linux?
>
> Are there any audio input peripherals out there that are Linux
> friendly?

most on-board chips seem to be supported these days.
most cards, too.

If you are concerned with fidelity... search for a card
with a highly-respected A/D on it.

For really good quality, you should just get a cheap audio card
with SPDIF input, and get a good external A/D device.
This gets spendy.  Try Grandma's music, if you are in the ABQ area.

> Also, what software will I need? I have downloaded JACK and Hydrogen,
> but I am still experimenting with these apps and know very little
> about JACK and ALSA.

I don't know jack about JACK ;-)

I have done scripted recording, etc with sox.
As mentioned previously, I use Audacity for editing.
It will record too.

           aaron