[nmglug] lf DSL/Wireless provider

Jeff Shippen spiffycomputers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:28:16 PDT 2006

Hey Michael,
Well, should you have to go the way of DSL, I have just gotten earthlink
last month. $40/mo for 6.0 mb/s down, something like 700+ Kb/s up.  Be
careful if you sign up with them - on their website they advertise 6.0
Mb, and I signed up on their live chat, and all I said was "i want to
sign up for dsl..." so we go through the order and at the final stage,
they said something like "ok, 1.5 Mb DSL, $40/mo" I was like yep, then i
re-read that and said "WHOA, the website says 6mb for the same price" >>
"oh, ok, let me look and see if that speed is available for your phone
number... yes it is... so 6.0 mb at $40/mo".

Now I'll tell you, that while I have 6.0 mb/s, most websites I download
from limit their upload speed to around 75-175 KB/s which is close
enough to the 1.5 mb/s down speed.  All I'm trying to say, is when 6.0
mb/s really pays off as far as down speed is when you are using
torrent.  that is my experience so far anyway.

I did the setup on my windows computer, which was simply logging into
the modem and typing my user name and password, earthlink's provided
software was NOT required to get up and running, nor did I install it.
They claim not to block any ports too, so far so good, but the modem
they provide does block a few ports by default, which you can turn on
and off as desired.  That is perfectly acceptable if you ask me.

Also, to others that might be reading this, when I first got the dsl was
after moving in w/ my g/f, which she had earthlink dial-up, the first
thing that has to go, right!  so when I called and inquired about 6 mb/s
dsl, I let them know I was doing an upgrade from dial-up, they kept
denying that 6.0 was avail for me, and the fastest speed was 3.0.  I
told them, "nevermind, I don't want your dsl"  I figured the 6.0 was
only for new-comers, not upgrades, so I created a new account on my
name, and canceled hers.  Of course, she wanted her e-mails back, so i
went in to re-create the accounts under my new profile, and they had
been disabled meaning that she couldn't log in and I could not create
the accounts as if they hadn't existed.  A quick live chat got them
transferred over to my account and re-enabled for free.

Hope that helps you and anyone else!
Jeff