[nmglug] disk space again

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Tue Apr 10 10:12:01 PDT 2007

BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was burning a dvd using GnomeBaker from content on a separate USB
> drive. The file was about 3.5 gigs in size. I have had 2-3 gigs of free
> space on my hard drive but I started getting low disk space warnings
> when trying to burn the disk. I thought this was due to temporary files
> so I canceled the burn but my disk space stayed low. I logged out and
> back in to see if the tmp files would be flushed but no dice. I decided
> to check disk space in my home directory which was showing as 7
> gigs-very high. I found the .gnomebaker.iso file and deleted it but I
> see that Beagle is using 648 MB and most of that is the text-cache. Do I
> need this cache?

Rather than do cleanup to recover space, you could simply purchase a
larger hard drive, clone your existing partition(s) to it, and solve
your space problems that way.  If you use DD, you may have to resize the
partition on the new drive, but that's not a big deal.  If you use
something like Ghost (DOS) it will do that for you.

-Nick

--
nickf at nickorama.com