[nmglug] open source investing group

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Tue Jan 9 08:07:24 PST 2007

Hi All,

Retiring plans anyone?

Just a quick thought to add some emotion to the Santa Fe Linux group
and meetings,
btw, I made a new year resolution on attending at least 80%, (we'll see)

Jason started collecting some money for a dedicated server, but we
never reach the baseline.

What if instead of pouring the money on a server we invest it in
stock of open-source-backing companies,
or open-source-based companies, or open-source-producing companies.

The system would be something like:

We pledge a monthly installment we all (or those willing to
participate) agree,
(something ok to everybody from $10 to $50/month may be)

when we get together we figure out where to invest that money,
provided that the stock we purchase must be of a very open source,
gnu friendly company.

A neighbor of mine who makes a good profit on the stock market told
me once:
"I only put my money in stuff I know about"

of course we have to set some rules and organize who can get in, out
and all that stuff,
but why not?

what do you think?

Andres