[nmglug] open source investing group

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Tue Jan 9 21:00:12 PST 2007

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Retiring plans anyone?
>
> Just a quick thought to add some emotion to the Santa Fe Linux group and
> meetings,
> btw, I made a new year resolution on attending at least 80%, (we'll see)
>
> Jason started collecting some money for a dedicated server, but we never
> reach the baseline.
>
> What if instead of pouring the money on a server we invest it in stock
> of open-source-backing companies,
> or open-source-based companies, or open-source-producing companies.

Interesting idea.

Here are some things to think about.

You need to form a partnership or LLC, write up some bylaws, get tax ID numbers for federal and state taxes. That is a
big effort but you only do it once.

The continuing big effort is to keep track of all the money and investments and allocate income to the partners and
submit tax returns.  (GnuCash works for that)

All the work is not that tough. The hardest part is figuring out what you have to do. I can help point you in the right
direction.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering®
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Rd Ste 3
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com