[nmglug] "all-in-one" printer puzzler

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 08:20:13 PST 2007

Looks like your 5si comes standard with 4megs of memory.  Hardly enough for a complex print job.  The manual says it is upgradeable using (then) standard simms.  I would bet that you could find out what simms you need and get them used at Absolute Computing.

I also have a 10mbs JetDirect MIO card that I could give you.  I don't have any more HP printers to use it on.

If you already have a jetdirect card on it then using it on linux is pretty trivial.  What you want to look for is "9100 printing" if using CUPS or LPR.  9100 of course being the TCP/IP port that jetdirect uses.

I used to have an old redhat box as a windows/samba printer server sharing about a dozen networked HP 3/4/5 printers to win98 machines.  I did away with it when we switched to XP since WindowsXP has it's own TCP/IP print monitor.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you are interested in that jetdirect card.  According to the docs it says your printer can support an MIO card.

Tim