[nmglug] that new Qwest offer

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Fri Jan 19 09:56:15 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 18:44 -0700, Mark Galassi wrote:
> * do they require some integrated proprietary s/w to run on
>   Windows/Mac, or do they "just work" with an off-the-shelf DSL modem?
>
> * do they offer routed IP addresses?  I don't need it fixed, but I
>   need to be able to ssh to it from the outside world.

A family member of mine, (in Iowa) seems sort of satisfied, but it's the
only high speed connection he's ever had I believe. The 'modem' that he
has from them is an annoying little bridge/router that keeps the public
IP for itself and dhcp's 192 addresses to his network. So for me it
would be completely unacceptable, as there's no way to configure port
forwarding or anything, all connections have to be initiated from inside
the network.
I guess the big question is whether it will work with a different modem
and your own router.

> * any privacy concerns?
>
> * how bad is it that they are Microsoft?  (note that in general I find
>   that all proprietary s/w companies are lame, not just Microsoft)

:|