[nmglug] Group file altered

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Fri Jul 13 12:46:56 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 11:43 -0600, Tom Rushton wrote:
> somehow managed to overwrite  the  /etc/group
> and  group-  files

I'm not familiar with group-, do you mean group~ ? (Which, would be a
text-editor's backup file of group.)

Either way, /etc/group is the important file here. Maybe it will help to
have a copy of a working group file from another Feisty Fawn (latest
Ubuntu) box.

This one comes courtesy of Mr. Schaefer (we tried to send this last
night from the glug after-party but the beer got in the way.):

root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
bin:x:2:
sys:x:3:
adm:x:4:tom
tty:x:5:
disk:x:6:
lp:x:7:cupsys
mail:x:8:
uucp:x:10:
man:x:12:
proxy:x:13:
kmem:x:15:
dialout:x:20:cupsys,tom
fax:x:21:
voice:x:22:
cdrom:x:24:haldaemon,tom
floppy:x:25:haldaemon,tom
tape:x:26:
sudo:x:27:
audio:x:29:tom
dip:x:30:tom
www-data:x:33:
backup:x:34:
operator:x:37:
list:x:38:
irc:x:39:
src:x:40:
gnats:x:41:
shadow:x:42:
utmp:x:43:
video:x:44:tom
sasl:x:45:
plugdev:x:46:haldaemon,tom
staff:x:50:
games:x:60:
users:x:100:tom
nogroup:x:65534:
dhcp:x:101:
syslog:x:102:
klog:x:103:
crontab:x:104:
ssh:x:105:
lpadmin:x:106:tom
messagebus:x:107:
haldaemon:x:108:
slocate:x:109:
scanner:x:110:cupsys,tom,hplip
gdm:x:111:
admin:x:112:tom
ntp:x:113:
ssl-cert:x:114:postgres
postfix:x:115:
postdrop:x:116:
mysql:x:117:
postgres:x:118:
avahi:x:119:
fuse:x:120:
avahi-autoipd:x:121:
netdev:x:122:
nvram:x:123:
powerdev:x:124:haldaemon
debian-tor:x:125:
tom:x:1000:

Be sure to replace 'tom' with the actual name of your group 1000. (which
is usually your main username.)