[nmglug] Group file altered

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Fri Jul 13 15:18:55 PDT 2007

Sam Noble wrote:
> man:x:12:

This got turned into a url by Thunderbird.

That clued me in to try man:xine as a URL in Konqueror. That brings up the man page for xine.

Sweet! An easy way to access man pages

OK back to the subject at hand; (Assuming all the Ubuntu GID policies are inherited from Debian) system group numbers
0-99 are statically allocated to a particular package. System group numbers 100-999 are dynamically allocated as
packages are installed. See "9.2 Users and groups" at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html

If you installed all your packages in the same order that Tom did on his system, then using his /etc/group file should
be OK. Otherwise you need to deal with figuring out the appropriate group name and GID associations for all the GIDs
100-999. I estimate there are about 20 of them based on my /etc/group file.

Here is how I would go about fixing the problem.

Reinstall base-passwd package. That should fix the 0-99 groups.

Now search for GID numbers 100 to 130 using find

~# find / -gid 100 -ls

then try to figure out what group the files should belong to.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering®
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Rd Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com