[nmglug] Re: [NMLUG] Greetings

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Mon Jul 30 08:39:19 PDT 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Chris McMahon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to replace exchange,
> not because I need, but because I can (or could with a little help)

good for you,
I have some stubborn users that won't allow me taking them out of
exchange,

> IMAP is great for replacing the email backup and accessibility from
> wherever
> and thanks to Jason, I found egroupware to be an excellent
> alternative for sharing calendars

yes it is, you might want to check funambol as well,
it won't be very long until you start with syncing issues,

> does anybody have a good pointer or opinions on the following:
>
> we use dreamhost for email and other stuff,

I do too, even for business,

> does it makes any sense to have an in-house email server for
> internal email?

sometimes the users tend to email big files (10mb+) to the office
next to them,
if you educate the users to use an internal file server for this,
then most traffic is outbound,
and doesn't make sense to deal with another maintenance issue,

now, if you are talking about a 50+ users, then the in-house may be a
good sense,

other reason to have an in-house mail server could be the company
policy regarding document
retention, the only way to store every email is running you own server,

> how do you keep it simple for users, meaning to have only one imap
> account?

that's exactly what I am doing,
moved everybody to imap, and have a local copy, (make the folders
available when not on-line)

> if using an in-house server, how do you address mobile users
> without opening the server to the public internet?

That's another issue, I use ipcop with openvpn, that's the only
access I allow from the outside,
but if in-house email you must receive email, (and run your AV, SA, etc)