[nmglug] originating IP for an @yahoo.com e-mail

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Tue Jun 5 13:28:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have noticed that e-mails from Yahoo Web mail generally start with
a header like:

which indicates that the e-mail was likely composed on a computer in
Albuquerque by a Qwest DSL customer with IP 71.222.223.237.

Well, I'm interested in tracking down the origin of an e-mail from
an @yahoo address, and the first header is:

The IP 206.190.52.38 belongs to Yahoo! Broadcast Services, Inc. and
resolves to mg001.mail.re2.yahoo.com.

The likely possibilities I can think of are:

1. the e-mail originated from a Yahoo employee;

2. the e-mail originated from someone using Yahoo SMTP services; or

3. in some cases, Yahoo Web mail does not reveal the originating IP.

I wonder if anyone on this list knows about Yahoo e-mail infrastructure
and might know how to find out where this e-mail came from, or perhaps
that it's not possible.

Thanks,
--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>