[nmglug] filesystem optimization on software raid 5

Ken Long KenGLong at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 17:00:46 PDT 2007

On 13 Jun 2007 at 7:55, Aaron wrote:

> RAID5, in general, is a bit dangerous.  Software RAID5, even more so.
> As one disk dies, it tends to produce some bad data, which in turn,
> corrupts the other drives.  Some data is often lost.
> I'm not an expert at the recovery tools...  but theoretically,
> you should only loose a little data if you can re-build the rest OK.

People use raid 5 in their servers because it is more reliable. If
you lose one drive you can keep on running with no loss of data
while you schedule the drive replacement. That's the whole point.

After the failed drive has been replaced no one is the wiser.
(Except the poor system admin who has grown several more grey hairs
over the whole incident.)

Physical security, power protection and daily backups are also part
of the overall strategy.

Ken