[nmglug] Vista networking

Aaron eunichs at boim.com
Thu May 3 06:12:35 PDT 2007

I got a Vista laptop, and am mapping out some of the compatibility issues.

I thought I had Vista in a workgroup once, but I'm not totally sure.
It is not able to see any other computers/shares on our workgroup
(which includes 3 samba servers).
Other machines can see it, but when they try to access it,
the client freezes until some time-out then reports a problem with
the Vista host.

I'm not seeing much on the WWW about this.
Lots of directions about how to add Vista to a WORKGROUP...
but in their examples, it always works ;-)
Could it be a samba issue?
My DNS (dnsmasq) host provides name resolution for WINS.
Could there be some known issue with samba being "master"
with Vista on the workgroup?

      aaron