[nmglug] web development on Linux?

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Mon May 14 11:03:48 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 10:21:49AM -0600, Mindshare Studios wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> -Quanta Plus - this is a KDE app, will it present a problem for me since I'm
> running Gnome?

Nope. KDE apps will work just fine. Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu are only
different in the desktop environment installed by default. Apps from one
environment will work fine on others.

> -XaraLX, Inkscape, The GIMP (with GimpShop)
> -Filezilla

I suggest at least getting working knowledge of the command line tools
for FTP and for image manipulation (ImageMagick). Look up the
documentation for ftp, sftp, and mogrify. Being able to write a small
shell script to convert a directoryful of TIFF files to JPEG can come in
handy.

> -IEs4Linux, Opera, Firefox and the typical web dev extensions

If you want to actually test your pages in real IE without rebooting all
the time, there's the Free-as-in-beer VMWare Server, onto which you can
install a licensed copy of Windows and boot it up when its needed.

> Are there any great Linux web dev gems I should know about? Would Kubuntu be
> a better choice? Also, what's the likelihood that I will someday be able to
> run the Adobe Creative Suite apps under Linux - that's pretty much the only
> thing that keeps me stuck on Micro$oft?

Probably fairly low; I've never had much success with Wine, especially
for something as complex as Adobe CS. As mentioned above, there -is- the
VMWare option, but it's not quite so convenient.

-- Pi