[nmglug] A little off Linux but...

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Tue May 29 16:32:54 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:15 -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> I can see the files either as root or me but they cannot be accessed
> in
> either without getting error messages. In Nautilus the icons are
> correct
> and look OK, the dates, sizes, etc. are fine too but they do not open.
> These aren't permission denied errors. In nautilus they morph into
> text
> files as opposed to PDF, for instance, and in Gnome-Commander as root
> get an "Unable to open file (error3)".
> Trying to copy gives an "Unable to copy" error (as root).
> I'll try changing the permissions after I get a response (hopefully).
> know it's weird but it's what I've got!

Yuck, when I was trying to use hpmount, it was because the hfs+
partition was showing up as being mounted rw, but all access would
return errors as though the partition was mounted ro. In other words,
tools that I normally trust were giving me incorrect output. This seems
like a potential cause for some of the confusing issues that you've had
with file systems, disk usage etc. I've not looked into it, (because I'm
an extX only file system bigot :) Are you on any PowerPC-mac lists?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/