[nmglug] php4 and php5 on Red Hat Enterprise 4

Mindshare Studios info at mindsharestudios.com
Mon Nov 5 07:43:13 PST 2007

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Damian

-----Original Message-----
From: nmglug-bounces at nmglug.org [mailto:nmglug-bounces at nmglug.org] On Behalf
Of Sam Noble
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 8:29 AM
To: NMGLUG.org mailing list
Subject: Re: [nmglug] php4 and php5 on Red Hat Enterprise 4

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 18:40 -0700, jason wrote:
> I think it's not possible to load both as modules, I believe they will
> conflict. If you need to run php4 and 5 on the same virtual host you
> should run php4 as a module and compile php5 as a cgi. If you just want
> each virtual host to be able to choose between php4/5, then suPHP can be
> used to call either, but not both at the same time.
>
> This rpm from rhel5 should work on rhel4.

http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/source/SRPM
S/php-5.1.2-5.src.rpm
> Also CentOS has some repos with php5 in them...

%s/rhel5/fedora_core_5/

Centos packages are available here:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/4.5/centosplus/i386/RPMS/php-5.1.6-3.el4s1.
8.i386.rpm

I think you can put it in your yum repos too:
#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&
repo=centosplus
#baseurl=http://or_pick_a_mirror/yum/centosmirror/centos4.0/centosplus/$base
arch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4

That may need some massaging to work on rhel4 proper since I nabbed it
from a centos4 box.
And of course none of this helps with your real question. :shrug: