[nmglug] linux friendly player,

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Tue Oct 2 15:38:54 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 15:15 -0600, Mark Galassi wrote:
> My son uses a Creative Zen V, 4gig of flash, which is a very nice
> unit.  It works with various GNU/Linux nomad programs (including
> gnomad, a full GUI just for these gadgets), and various plugins for
> amarok and others.

Yeah my wife and a coworker each have zen V's it's about the same size
as my Cowon D2, it has a much smaller non-touch screen, which makes the
menus a bit less fiddly but also makes video seem pretty silly due to
the super small size.
Also no ogg/flac support and of course no expandable memory (anybody
notice I'm pretty big on that one?) And I personally wasn't able to come
up with ffmpeg options that would create video it would play.
Plus while it does work with gnomad, (though I had to build from source
against marillat-ish libraries that I would not have otherwise had
installed.) it is not mountable as removable storage so your limited to
the (pretty good) gnomad (or amarok and probably newer-than-mine
versions of rhythmbox, xmms etc.) interface. Which I find quite a bit
more painful than just having udev auto pmount the thing, so that I can
use nautilus or bash (hurray for rsync!) to manage it.

Has anyone tried the iriver clix(2)?