[nmglug] change permissions on USB drive

Nicholas Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Fri Oct 12 16:12:13 PDT 2007

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 01:37:43PM -0600, Nick Frost wrote:
>>  Gary is correct, the perms of the unmounted directory will be
>>  inherited (or should be) when mounted
>
> My intention was to show that the perms of the unmounted directory
> likely will _not_ be inherited. :)

Gary;

I'm pretty sure the permission are inherited by the user, so yes, not the
directory but rather the user permissions....what I meant was the
permissions will be inherited (by user) when mounted.

ls -al

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  48 Dec 19  2005 usb	(unmounted)

hostname mnt #mount /dev/sdd1 usb/

drwxr-xr-x 59 root root 16384 Dec 31  1969 usb	(mounted)

as user nickf with /etc/fstab entry of;

/dev/sdd1               /mnt/usb        vfat
auto,nosuid,user,rw    00

ls -al

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  48 Dec 19  2005 usb	(unmounted)

ls -al

drwxr-xr-x 59 nickf users 16384 Dec 31  1969 usb	(mounted)

permissions inherited by user performing mount.

If ROOT changes /mnt/usb from 755 to 700 and the user nickf mounts
/mnt/usb (/dev/sdd1) the permissions will be 755, but the ownership will
be inherited as the user performing the mount.

-Nick