[nmglug] Remote Desktop Tunneling

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Apr 22 00:05:51 PDT 2008

Beau,
  Inline below are the instructions for doing X-forwarding via SSH, just
run the command as shown there.  For example I would run:

andy-farnsworths-macbook:~ billybob$ ssh -X billybob at trash.stonedoor.com
Password:

And get this as the results:

Linux trash 2.4.27-3-686 #1 Tue May 30 00:56:40 UTC 2006 i686

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
You have new mail.
Last login: Wed Apr 16 12:22:19 2008 from some.random.host.comcast.net
farnsaw at flash:~$

Then just run your X Applications (such as xeyes or xearth) and it
should appear on your local machine.

You do the same thing for VNC but you need to get the VNC server up and
running, then execute the ssh command as shown below and you will find
that if you use the VNC Client to connect to localhost, it will go
across your tunnel to the linux box and you will have the screen
available locally.

Andy Farnsworth