[nmglug] where's my cdrom dude?

andres andres at paglayan.com
Wed Apr 30 09:56:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

ubuntu 8.4

I am not very much of a media guy,
so I feel like I might lost some chapters in the "where things are"

I finally decided to rip my whole cd collection on ogg,
I got abcde script for the job aliong with related tools,
and when i run it, I get:
[ERROR] abcde: CDROM has not been defined or cannot be found

For some reason, the ripper doesn't like any of the cdrom locations I am
giving to it,
I tried (on the .abcde conf file)
CDROM=-d /dev/scd
CDROM=/dev/scd0
CDROM=/media/cdrom (which is a link to cdrom0)
CDROM=/media/cdrom0
CDROM=/cdrom (which is a link too)

I tried with the cd mounted and unmounted, for all locations,
I can't even get an ls to run at any of those
fstab has

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0

but if manually doing it I get
special device /dev/hdc does not exist

on gnome the CDs automount and show as
location:  cdda://scd0/

but I can't find that (or the CD) as folder in the filesystem,

WHERE IS IT???!!!

aggghhhh