[nmglug] where's my cdrom dude?

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Wed Apr 30 20:56:07 PDT 2008

    andres> I finally decided to rip my whole cd collection on ogg, I
    andres> got abcde script for the job aliong with related tools, and
    andres> when i run it, I get: [ERROR] abcde: CDROM has not been
    andres> defined or cannot be found

I finally decided to rip mine to flac :-)

One tip: do a very good job on metadata.

As for finding your cdrom, one way to do it is to type "dmesg | less"
nad look for /dev entries at boot time.

But sometimes "dmesg" has been flushed out by post-boot events, so you
can do

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

and then see what /dev entries are mentioned when you insert CDs and
other things.