[nmglug] Upgrade fromubuntu 6.06 to 8.04

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Mon Aug 4 09:44:29 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 14:47 -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> I did what you suggested Gary and it appears that I have a fully
> functional Hardy install on PowerPC! I haven't restarted yet as I'm a
> bit worried that something yet will come up but all the packages are
> updated, python is cured and it just looks great! I'll post to the
> other forums and lists your solution and it is obvious that NMGLUG
> rocks way more than the other guys.

That's awesome Brian, I'm also a member of the
keep-banging-on-apt-and-dpkg-until-it-works club, (as opposed to those
mamby-pamby re-installers ;)
But when I saw your post this morning I was a little worried, as one of
the more painful upgrades I've ever had was the gNewSense 1.1 to 2.0
upgrade. Which are based on the same two ubuntu releases that you were
working with.
So really glad to see you got through it without too much pain. (Mine
was broken for a month)

Plus I've been waiting for a good opportunity to brag about how well my
other recent big dist-upgrade  went. So fwiw, if anyone is considering
updating from Ubuntu Feisty to current Debian testing, that works pretty
well :D