[nmglug] dial up

akaluta at zianet.com akaluta at zianet.com
Sat Aug 23 06:11:56 PDT 2008

Please correct if necessary,I assume the modem is recognized by: by ls -l
/dev/tty* result being:
crw-rw 1 root dialout 166 0 /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw  dialout 4 64 /dev/ttyS0 ...4 67 /dev/ttyS3
also checked /proc/ioports don't recognize much, looked around  syslog don't
recognize much there.

There is no PPP or other utility on the install disc that I recognize.I
would like to download one of these utilities using my available Vista
laptop resource.Will I have a file conflict by simply downloading PPP or
wvdial to removable media and loading to Debian, which I have installed on
my desktop.
Would there be another alternate readily implamentable strategy to explore?

I have enjoyed exploring the various suggestions from glug et al  to this
query and learned a bit more hoping to soon be a contented member of the
dial up community.
                                                Thanks to All, Anthony K