[nmglug] nmglug server problems

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Mon Dec 8 21:07:01 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 04:14:24PM -0700, I wrote:
> The new card (Cnet CWP-854) uses a Ralink RT2500 chipset that has
> a 100% free driver and requires no non-free firmware blob.  That's
> an improvement over the current madwifi card (as long as it works).

Well, it used to, but the latest rev of the CWP-854 evidently uses a
Ralink chip that requires a firmware blob.  As I understand it, the
Atheros HAL was released under a free license a few days after I
wrote the text above, so maybe we can change back to an Atheros-
based wireless card some day (or put the server somewhere that it
can be plugged in to a wire).  Switching back to an Atheros card
will require purchasing a new wireless card because the one balrog
was using is no longer functional.

--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>