[nmglug] Mozilla apps freeze on print

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Fri Feb 1 23:24:16 PST 2008

BrianO'Keefe wrote:

> My brother bought a Microtel desktop loaded with Linspire which didn't
> work at all so we installed Ubuntu 7.10. It works great but there is no
> sound and it may be an ALSA problem. I have a vague memory of having to
> edit an ALS config file once but can't remember what I did. Any ideas of
> where to begin?

Well, haven't configured ALSA on Ubuntu lately, but on a Gentoo system
it's simply a matter of compiling the appropriate module for your
soundcard and then running;

alsaconf

and following the prompts.  Alsaconf should find your soundcard and walk
you through the rest.  It *should* be pretty straightforward, though you
may want to try some Ubuntu specific methods;

http://linux.iuplog.com/default.asp?item=94639

In my case it was necessary to re-emerge some applications for Gnome,
specifically gstreamer, as I recall.

-Nick
Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325