[nmglug] Mozilla apps freeze on print

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Thu Jan 31 21:56:19 PST 2008

Nick Frost wrote:

> Hmmm.  No obvious problem there (some of the "not
> founds...ld.so.nohwcap" are normal)

Brian;

I need more sleep...upon further review, I see a couple potential
problems with the strace output, the gist of which is that I think an
Edgy Etch update might've eaten or mangled parts of your CUPS
installation.  But, though I've used Ubuntu, it's not a distro I use
frequently, so if there's a resident Ubuntu/CUPS expert lurking here on
NMGLUG, please chime in.

1) On my system when I do;

lpr -Php1320 sample-file.ps

part of the result is;

connect(4, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/cups/cups.sock"}, 26) = 0

file /var/run/cups/cups.sock
/var/run/cups/cups.sock: socket

which mean "0" (successful connection to cups socket), and when checked
with "file" command the cups.sock file exists and, as expected, is a socket.

on your system (from your strace output);

stat64("/var/run/cups/cups.sock", 0x7fe9ec70) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory).

So, I'm wondering where your CUPS socket went or if it lives somewhere
else on your distro?

Can you print at all (from CUPS web interface on port 631 or command line?)?

2) I don't see a file open statement for the sample postscript file that
you are trying to print (if you need a sample file, this one should do
http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~netinfo/notes/chap1/samplepostscript.html)

so, I'm wondering if CUPS is even getting that far?

One of the drastic measures would be to choose all CUPS related packages
in Synaptic and choose "upgrade", but it depends on how anxious you are
to get CUPS working again. Further diagnosis may yield a less intrusive
solution.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325