[nmglug] Partitions

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Wed Jun 11 16:07:12 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 15:10 -0700, VA wrote:
> I'm looking for Linux software to copy a partition to the same or a
> different drive.  I don't want to just copy files, I want to copy the
> entire partition, as is.
>
> QParted doesn't do it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Virginia

I think you might like partimage or partimage-ng, the downside to it is
I don't think you can go straight disk to disk (it creates image files),
but the upside is that it's supposed to handle partitioning for you, (So
you don't have to use fdisk [or Xparted] and _then_ it.) when doing a
whole disk. Also it doesn't have the "copy everything bad or empty as
well as the data" feature that dd has.

But for the record, tar, damn it tar:
http://nmlug.org/maillist/2004-February/msg00081.html