[nmglug] where's my cdrom dude?

andres andres at paglayan.com
Thu May 1 15:59:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 21:56 -0600, Mark Galassi wrote:

> andres> I finally decided to rip my whole cd collection on ogg, I
>     andres> got abcde script for the job aliong with related tools, and
>     andres> when i run it, I get: [ERROR] abcde: CDROM has not been
>     andres> defined or cannot be found
>
> I finally decided to rip mine to flac :-)

yeah, I though of flac first,
but then in a second though I said, for loseless enc I have the cds,
and then they wont fit many on the player,
Also found this ogg car stereo
http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/detachable-face-car-cd-player-stereo/
unless _(cough)**borrowed**(cough)__ I'll rip on ogg,
else on flac,

> One tip: do a very good job on metadata.
>
> As for finding your cdrom, one way to do it is to type "dmesg | less"
> nad look for /dev entries at boot time.
>
> But sometimes "dmesg" has been flushed out by post-boot events, so you
> can do
>
> sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
>
> and then see what /dev entries are mentioned when you insert CDs and
> other things.

yep, the problem is that I have mayny different names and none is
recognized by the abdce script,
I'll have to resort to manually using paranoia and then encoding,
(it can be one script too)