[nmglug] nmglug server problems

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Tue Nov 25 15:14:24 PST 2008

Hi,

It has been brought to my attention that the nmglug.org server has
been up and down sporadically lately.  It seems to me that the
wireless card is failing (signal strength is low and the connection
periodically drops).  I have ordered a replacement wireless card for
the server and hopefully it will be operating more reliably after
the new card is installed later this week.

In the meantime, I moved the server to a place closer to the access
point.  The signal strength has gone up a bit.  Hopefully it will
get by this way until the new card arrives.

The new card (Cnet CWP-854) uses a Ralink RT2500 chipset that has a
100% free driver and requires no non-free firmware blob.  That's an
improvement over the current madwifi card (as long as it works ;) ).

--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>