[nmglug] Sam--Thanks!--got my Averatec laptop running Ubuntu!

Paul Wrenn paulw9999 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:39:33 PDT 2008

Sam:

Thanks for your help at the last NMGLUG meeting.  Although it seemed that nothing was fixed at the meeting, when I let my Averatec laptop sit for a while and reengaged, your help produced a breakthrough!

So now, Ubuntu is running great on this laptop!

I believe the breakthrough was that the Red Hat beta install (which hung) did something to clear up some bad disk space.

Because when I repartitioned my Linux disk area (which was undefined after the Red Hat beta install hang--Windows partition stayed as is), I somehow felt there was a fix via a disk change :)

Taking your advice, I then installed the previous version of the Ubuntu CD (7.10) and it installed perfectly!  I then upgraded on line to the Ubuntu version I wanted and had been trying to install (8.04) and the upgrade worked perfectly too!

The fix COULD have been the initial install of the 7.10 CD (instead of the 8.04 CD which always hung), but I FEEL the 8.04 CD would have installed due to a change in my Linux disk area.

Thanks again.  I'm busy tuning Ubuntu and documenting all the things I've had to learn to customize it and add some off-the-wall packages.  I'll not be at this meeting, But I'll be a future meeting when I will hopefully be there with something to give, instead of being there just for something to take.

Sincerely,
Paul Wrenn