[nmglug] suggestions on computers?

andres andres at paglayan.com
Fri Oct 24 14:07:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 09:19 -0600, Mindshare Studios wrote:

> I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for buying computer
> components... I'm thinking about building a new machine and I have typically
> ordered from Tiger Direct but I thought ping the list and see if there are
> other recommendations. Also, if anyone want to weigh in on AMD v. Intel that
> would be cool - I've never had an AMD set up so I have no personal
> comparison.

I alwasy go asus with amd cpu and nvidia graphics at newegg,
the nvidia part is questionable though, many will go all intel,

trying to get the fastest bus - cpu - mobo - mem combo I can and paying
some attention at matching the speeds.
although one month without watching the market and I don't understand
anymore

Tiger direct has better price for low end stations when bundles
barebones,
like putting a good desktop for under $200,

a good power supply is way more important than it seems to be,

for production servers using LAC is worth the overhead,