[nmglug] Hello MVLUG

DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us
Fri Oct 31 10:13:18 PDT 2008

An Open Letter to all New Mexico Linux Lug's and organizations,

We (A few people in the Ubuntu Linux users group) have started to put
together plans for a New Mexico LinuxFest in late 2009 or early 2010 at an
Albuquerque, NM location and a committee is in the process of being
formed.

More information on what we are doing can be found here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam/NewMexicoLinuxFest

We will be moving all this information to another web site very soon as
this is a LinuxFest and is distribution neutral. We want all groups
(LUGS), Linux distributions, and organizations represented. New Mexico
LinuxFest will be a separate organization and even though most of the
organizers will be from the various LUGS and other organizations it will
be it's own entity. This will be a huge undertaking and even will require
the creation of a non-profit, 501(c)3 corporation (The charter is being
drawn up currently).

That being said we desperately need the support of all the New Mexico
LUG's to make this a success and would love to have it's members input,
skill, and knowledge be a part of New Mexico LinuxFest. If you feel you
would like to serve on the committee please send your information and
qualifications to David Thomas (the current committee chair)
dthomas at dthomasdigital.com other committee members include Michael
Rimbert, and Jim Riordan. The committee needs to consist of 6 members and
a chair (Which means we have  4 open positions and will be decided upon my
current committee members), they  will be responsible for drawing up the
New Mexico LinuxFest charter as well as serving as the initial officers.

Again, this will be a huge undertaking and those wishing to serve on the
committee will need to be able to dedicate the time needed.

We will be having a call for papers for those that wish to speak very
soon, as well as looking for sponsors, exhibitors, and volunteers.

Thank you for your time and please let me know if you have any questions.
This is at a very early stage and things will most certainly change, but
with your help I'm sure New Mexico LinuxFest can become a reality.

If you know of any other New Mexico Linux resources please feel free to
pass this letter to them.

David Thomas
dthomas at dthomasdigital.com