[nmglug] editing bash

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Mon Apr 6 10:51:45 PDT 2009

I'm running ubuntu intrepid 8.10 and am trying to install ArcView. I got
it installed, the java version, but to use it requires editing
environment variables. However, there are no ~/.login or other files,
even .bash. I understand that Ubuntu has changed much in this regard but
I would like to figure out how to get ArcView installed. Any help is
greatly appreciated! Here are the instructions:

Setting up your account
ESRI recommends that you execute ArcExplorer from a C shell. The
following instructions are for a C shell environment setup.
To use ArcExplorer, add the following lines to your .login or .cshrc file:
setenv AEJHOME <ArcExplorer Installation Directory>/aej90exe
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $AEJHOME/lib
Make sure that $AEJHOME/bin is in the PATH.
set path = ( $path $AEJHOME/bin )
To enable the changes, type:
% source <.login or .cshrc>
Editing the $HOME/aimsclient.properties file
Update the value of the WebBrowser key in the aimsclient.properties file
to point to the location of your default browser.
Update the value of the AEJavaHelp key in the aimsclient.properties file
to point to the location of the ArcExplorer online Help files.
Starting ArcExplorer
With $AEJHOME/bin included in your PATH, start ArcExplorer by typing:
aejava