[nmglug] editing bash

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Mon Apr 6 11:30:58 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 11:51 AM, BrianO'Keefe wrote:

> I'm running ubuntu intrepid 8.10 and am trying to install ArcView. I
> got
> it installed, the java version, but to use it requires editing
> environment variables. However, there are no ~/.login or other files,
> even .bash. I understand that Ubuntu has changed much in this regard
> but
> I would like to figure out how to get ArcView installed. Any help is
> greatly appreciated! Here are the instructions:

Ubuntu uses BASH. You can either copy /etc/skel/.bashrc and /etc/
skel/.bash_profile into your homedir and edit them, or make your
own .bashrc in your homedir and put environment variables in it,
as .bashrc is read by each newly spawned shell.

Hope that helps,
-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325