[nmglug] Helping others,

Ted Pomeroy tedpome at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 20:55:02 PDT 2009

Sam, I have been working with Satguru and we got her onboard wifi going. It is a Broadcom chip and after a recent update the automated Ubuntu "proprietary drivers monitor" asked, "You could use the non-free driver for your wireless...Do you wish to install these?" We did the install and it was the fwcutter and another driver that came through and after a couple of re-starts the internal wireless kicked in. So Ubuntu has circumvented the older install by hand after searching for proprietary drivers and the various unofficial sites that (Automatix, EasyUbuntu) that did this. Very interesting questions in brief "do you want non-free" pop-up.
I know a group of NMGluggers was trying to help her after the initial install. It seems the update fixed the hardware detection.
Hope to see you this Thursday, tomorrow at NMGlug.
Yours, Ted P.