[nmglug] Help-- qwest dsl hook with Ubuntu 8.04

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Sun Apr 19 20:36:35 PDT 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Doug Schocke wrote:

> Need some help-- the Shop-- CybernetworkNM at 1964 Cerrillos-- has a
> dsl
> connect but qwest will not support (help) a linux hookup.  Need
> suggestions and directions.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, if you have DSL from Qwest,
presumably QWest provided a DSL router (Actiontec, 3Wire, etc.)  and
any computer plugged into that router should be able to obtain an IP
address via DHCP and use the Internet.

If a lack of Ethernet ports is the issue, simply connect an Ethernet
switch to the LAN port of the DSL router and you have 8+ more Ethernet
LAN ports, all of which should be pushing out RFC1918 IP addresses to
computers on your LAN if the DSL router is configured the way most
I've run across appear to be.  Most Linux distros support DHCP out-of-
the-box, unless you have a driver issue, are trying to use wireless
(802.11<x>), etc.

> Need suggestions and directions.

What hardware? (Network Interface Card), what Linux distro?  How is
the machine connected (or proposed to be) to the LAN, etc.?

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508