[nmglug] running legacy OS

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Wed Apr 22 08:53:16 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:01:32PM -0600, Jason Schaefer wrote:
> KVM rocks! VirtualBox and VMware have benefits in some cases

The benefits I have seen that I care about are:

o Better virtual network card transfer rates using vmware server
than kvm/qemu using bridged networking, but the kvm/qemu seems to be
better now.

o I am currently experiencing loss of network connectivity in some
kvm virtual machines occasionally after a bit of full throttle data
transfer into the virtual machine.  Logging in at the console and
doing ifdown, ifup brings it back.  I don't have enough information
yet to submit an accurate bug report so haven't done that yet...
The benefit of vmware server is, vmware server has never done this
for me yet.

> but they have lots of out of distro dependancies, aren't
> completely free (as in freedom) and after kernel upgrades require
> re-install. Not fun! KVM is built in and isn't going anywhere.

I agree, this is great.

> I use virt-manager to graphically manage and setup vm's. Its a
> virtual dream come true!

If I remember right, the only thing I didn't like about this is that
it did not support adding sounds cards.  I think under the hood what
I have are just qemu virtual machines, so I think it should be
possible to add one manually.

--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>