[nmglug] [Fwd: Re: [dt-general] DigiTemp to rrd tool graphing]

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Mon Dec 7 10:56:58 PST 2009

a wrote:

> Re: [dt-general] DigiTemp to rrd tool graphing
> From:
> a <akaluta at taosnet.com>
> Date:
> Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:36:48 -0700
> To:
> DigiTemp General Discussions <dt-general at lists.brianlane.com>
>
> To:
> DigiTemp General Discussions <dt-general at lists.brianlane.com>
>

> What does this mean #! /usr/bin/pearl  -w

-w means enable or disable warnings. But it should be "perl" and not
"pearl". PERL = Programmed Extraction and Reporting Language. pearl =
white things found in oysters that are expensive. :-)

man perl

"If something strange has gone wrong with your program and you’re not
sure where you should look for help, try the -w switch first. It will
often point out exactly where the trouble is."

"The "use warnings" pragma (and the -w switch) produces some lovely
diagnostics."

>> prelimary-Did I download correct perl as indicated in initial step  2)
>> above?
>> What do I do with the following,do I load it manually or somehow put it
>> in /usr/bin/perl -w

which perl

or;

wheris perl

should tell you where perl lives on your system. As long as PERL is in
/usr/bin/ you're fine, unless you want a specific version of PERL, in
which case you will change the script's first line to point at the
version of PERL you want to use. If it's not and somewhere else (e.g.
/usr/local/bin/)

your would change the script's first line accordingly;

e.g.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

Hope that helps,

-Nick