[nmglug] Production server question

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Fri Mar 27 16:41:36 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:58:08PM -0600, Brendan wrote:
> For SCSI, that's true, but SATA (generally) has native hot swap
> capability without notifying the disk subsystem.

Well, I didn't now that.  If it's possible to just unplug and replug
without echoing commands into /proc/scsi/scsi, that changes things a
bit.  All that's left is mdadm commands, perhaps before and
definitely after the disk change.  However, I think it's not as easy
to make a fatal mistake with mdadm as it is with /proc/scsi/scsi.
mdadm seems to catch potential array killing commands and refuse to
do them by default.

> The only thing worse than having no RAID is, after RAID saves your
> ass, accidentally crashing the system anyhow and being unable to
> restart your RAIDs because a drive is missing ;-)

Yuck.

--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>