[nmglug] kvm ,virt-manager

Brendan synk at swcp.com
Wed May 6 09:41:42 PDT 2009

a wrote:
> Asking for clarification,I find several pertinent,explanatory
> virt-manager documentation references,either dated or missing and
> through inexperience have not been unable to reconstruct an
> understanding of those parts.

I guess the first question is: Where is your legacy OS?  Is it on an
existing partition? An old hard drive?  A dd file image?  You just need
to tell virt-manager the path to the device or file.

> Question: virt-manager filling in the blanks.
> How to  describe the iso image location, as required by the virt-manager
> setup wizard; with the given legacy os pre-loaded?

Ah, that is a minor problem: Virt-manager assumes you're installing a
system from scratch rather than describing a pre-existing install.  It's
not a big deal though: Just tell it you're going to network boot or
specify a path to a cd-rom drive.  It will fail to boot the first time,
but virt-manager will assume the install succeeded so on subsequent
boots it'll just try booting off the actual storage device, whatever
that is.

> I have not actually created a dual booted system,assuming that as a
> pre-requirement.

Don't fully understand: What OS do you have now and what OS are you
trying to install?  I don't think I would say dual booting is a
requirement.  The only requirement is that the system running
virt-manager be installed at bootable.

-Brendan