[nmglug] kvm ,virt-manager

a akaluta at taosnet.com
Wed May 6 14:23:23 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 12:12 -0600, a wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 10:41 -0600, Brendan wrote:
> > a wrote:
> > > Asking for clarification,I find several pertinent,explanatory
> > > virt-manager documentation references,either dated or missing and
> > > through inexperience have not been unable to reconstruct an
> > > understanding of those parts.
> >
> > I guess the first question is: Where is your legacy OS?  Is it on an
> > existing partition? An old hard drive?  A dd file image?  You just need
> > to tell virt-manager the path to the device or file.
>
> The machine is a computer I have bought on-line,it is expected to arrive
> today,the loaded operating system is vista.
> I have been experimenting with the very fundamentals of virt-manager on
> an old computer sans vitalization, nevertheless useful.
>
> The several old computers I do have, originally had xp preloaded with a
> then added ubuntu dual booting capability,ubuntu becoming the initially
> I would like to do the same with this new machine,have ubuntu load
> initially.
>

> > > Question: virt-manager filling in the blanks.
> > > How to  describe the iso image location, as required by the virt-manager
> > > setup wizard; with the given legacy os pre-loaded?
> >
> > Ah, that is a minor problem: Virt-manager assumes you're installing a
> > system from scratch rather than describing a pre-existing install.  It's
> > not a big deal though: Just tell it you're going to network boot or
> > specify a path to a cd-rom drive.  It will fail to boot the first time,
> > but virt-manager will assume the install succeeded so on subsequent
> > boots it'll just try booting off the actual storage device, whatever
> > that is.
> >
> > > I have not actually created a dual booted system,assuming that as a
> > > pre-requirement.
>
> I have assumed a dual boot is necessary have ubuntu first.
> >
> > Don't fully understand: What OS do you have now and what OS are you
> > trying to install?  I don't think I would say dual booting is a
> > requirement.  The only requirement is that the system running
> > virt-manager be installed at boot-able.
>
> Vista I have now,wishing to install ubuntu as the hosting system.
> >
> > -Brendan
>
>  Thanks,Antonio

Have the new machine up and running on vista,to proceed with the
virt-manager,unless anyone can offer advise otherwise,I will continue
with adding Ubuntu and create a dual boot system,then install and run
virt-manager and kvr using ubuntu as the host system and virtualizing
the pre-installed vista.Can anyone offer an otherwise preferable
solution. Thanks, Antonio