[nmglug] raid 10 vs 5

Ken Long kenglong at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:46:21 PDT 2009

When my previous employer upgraded their ERP to the latest version,
the vendor told us they would not support their software on raid 5,
only raid 10. Their reason was performance. They offered their
system on both Progress and SQL and both required raid 10.

That was for a lot of simultaneous transactions. For a standard file
server, I would suspect raid 5 would be adequate.

Ken Long
Albuquerque