[nmglug] booting from raid 1 problem

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Wed Dec 8 08:30:16 PST 2010

Hi,

I have done this a thousand times, (...well, less)
and it always worked like a charm.

Most machines I use, I build them with either 4 Disks and raid 10 (and 1
for the mirror booting) or 6 disk and raid 5 (and 1 for the mirror
booting)

This time I am dealing with a estrange problem. (Ubuntu 10.10 server)

I do the formats, (three primary partitions for linux raid)
I configure the arrays:
 - raid 1 for 2 partitions with booting flag, mounted on /boot)
 - raid 5 for the rest,

The install completes, at the end grub installs in the two devices,
on reboot, it drops to busybox,
waiting for the raid to come alive doesn't work,
and the root=uuid that grub wants to boot from is not there,

in the working installs, grub is automagically configured to boot from
md0 (the first array device)
in this one grub is looking for a physical hard drive,

The other interesting problem is that array itself seems faulty,
if I boot from a live disk, the array will tell me that there are not
enough disks to start it.
but at the same time, the system will recognize all the disks,
All the disks were checked and they seem fine.

Is this something that happened before to someone and triggers a bitter
memory?
if so, can give me a pointer to where to look at, and what to look for?

Thanks a bunch, (to the bunch)

Andres